We gave tours of the grounds as a historical site during the Summer of 1980.
Nauvoo temple was rebuilt and then dedicated 27 June 2002.
We were now privileged to perform ordinances within the temple walls 7 July 2010.
Attending the temple was one of the many highlights of the reunion!
Attending the temple was one of the many highlights of the reunion!
After attending an Endowment Session many of us were taken to the lower level and shown the beautiful baptismal font. We were then invited to take in the view one gets gazing upward through the spirial staircase in the southwest corner.
Then back into the hot and humid world in which we live. :)
...for yet another photo op. Notice how well this group cleans up.
...but then there is alway something to make a picture more beautiful.
WHAT A HAPPY GROUP OF PEOPLE OUTSIDE ON A HOT DAY!
Hey wait where were the Molines in that last picture?
(something about a bunch of headaches and Tim not feeling well)
I love the inscription on the temple "Commenced 1841" !
...almost lunch time...
Bell tower dongs on the hour and counts the hours. Sometimes this can be heard inside on the upper floors.
It is simply beautiful! ... and just like the replica that we "showed off" during many a tour, while wearing our white shirts and ties on a hot summer evening.
President Hinckley said he chose the dedication date of June 27, "that we'd have the dedicatory service at the same hour of the day when Joseph and Hyrum were murdered in Carthage and we would dedicate this rebuilt structure as a memorial to them."
The LDS Church News of June 29, 2002 reported: “The temple faces west toward the Mississippi River `because Joseph planned it that way,’ President Hinckley said. `And I think he planned it that way because of the view. I think that magnificent view down across Nauvoo and the river and over into Iowa just can’t be duplicated.’ Noting that the Salt Lake Temple faces east, he said, “I see these two great structures facing each other across a major part of the continent and bonded together in a common purpose for the good and blessing of the work of the Lord.’”
(http://www.ldschurchnews.com/articles/42054/Great-opportunities-really-are-ahead-of-us.html).
View of the temple from the "Trail of Hope".
(sorry, poor exposure here - no time for photoshop)
Zoomed view from "Trail of Hope".
Did I mention lunch?
The Ivy - Fort Madison
(Highly recommended favorite of Finlinson)
Found a "Rich" person at the restaurant. Notice the shades, he must be famous. He is famous!
...and his body guards!
(notice the one chewing out the person that wanted his signature)
...don't let their innocent beauty and coy looks deceive you. They're highly trained!
I got some water "to-go", it's hot out here.
The senior missionary told me that if I was good I could pet the horse!
She helps me to be good.
...sonny, you can't pet the horse until we stop the ride.
Well, at least this old house remembers me. Words fail to express the memories of thirty years ago!
A very "Cool" place on a hot summer day. Especially if you were a bag of potatos or carrots belonging to Brigham Young. (his double walled, above ground cellar)
Catchin a production of the Wild and Restless missionaries. I mean the Young and Talented Missionaries.
Try again Moline. I moved in the last one. And hey, is that Redford's camera? Turn the flash on.
Dad, I think these people in front of me are famous!
Not so close Moline, you make me look like I have a big head. Oh, I do.
...more tugs on the heart strings, but wait til you see the secret basement where we once lived during the day.
Christus statue. Monument to Women garden out through the windows. For real!
Someone over fertilized this place!
Oh, and the basement hideout. Who was the best "ping-pong" player? I wanna know.
Mail call at the top of the stairs.
(Redmond, who keeps sending you all of these packages? - Finlinson)
I think I left my tie down here thirty years ago.
In front of the elderly woman monument - four boys some thirty years older!!! Thirty!
Mom, dad's missionary friend is pointing that camera again. Ok then do what I do and smile!
Now, I know that THIS Young Woman remembers SOME of you.
Take a closer look. I think you remember her too, almost as though she has held you in her arms- right. :)
I can't believe she really held you in her arms.
Time to eat again? Nuff said here. Moving along.
Nauvoo Main - a view to remember.
The (rainy) evening of the pageant - Reserved seating for "Redford"
Now for a message from our sponser. A featured family foto fun.
The Moline's.
Dad, if you show this to anyone. You are d.e.a.d.
A tender family at a tender crossing. The Montrose crossing.
A sacred place at any time. "Carthage"
Founder ? No he "found her". Lucky for him, they might not have made it back home.
What town are we in?
Crusers!
Your kiddin !! Please place your vote. Which of the two is more shocked astonished and amazed?
It's a tie!
Moline - I am requesting permission to enlarge this pic and hang it in my family room. Sweet!

No comments:
Post a Comment